Band page created in 2005.
There is more than one artist going by the name Tomahawk
1) US Experimental Rock Band
2) Australian Emcee of Clandestien
3) Chinese Metal Band
4) UK Drum & Bass Producer
1) Tomahawk are an experimental/metal/alternative rock band from the United States.
The band formed in 2000 when Fantômas, ex- Mr. Bungle and Faith No More singer Mike Patton and ex-The Jesus Lizard guitar player Duane Denison started swapping tapes with the intention of collaborating. Duane Denison then recruited ex-Helmet drummer John Stanier (currently playing also with Battles), while Mike Patton brought Melvins/Cows bass player Kevin Rutmanis into the fold.
In 2001 the band released their first LP, the self titled Tomahawk, produced by Joe Funderburk. Tomahawk recorded their next LP, Mit Gas, with producer Joe Barresi in 2003. Both were issued by Ipecac Recordings.
Tomahawk have toured extensively, playing in many countries around the world, including the United States, Australia, Europe and Japan. They generally headline shows but have been the supporting act for bands such as Tool. They also took part in the "Geek Show" tour, which held many various artists since its inception, the most noteable of which was in Australia in Dec, 2003, which also featured labelmates The Melvins and Fantômas. Tomahawk have also played on various festivals including the Big Day Out festival in Australia.
In June 2007, Tomahawk released an album that claims to be written around late 19th Century native American musical motifs. The CD is called Anonymous. It is true the band has a name that speaks to images of native American-ness but this is the first release of 3 that musically embraces that tradition in its actual tunes. It is full of chants, slow drum beats, and vocal manipulations throughout. The Cd is less a Tomahawk dock record than something totally new and exciting. It is a real pleasure to hear.
In 2007, their song Capt Midnight was included in the soundtrack of the video game "The Darkness"
2) Tomahawk, one third of Perth hip hop legends Clandestien. One of Australia's most respected hip hop acts, bringing a fresh and accessible musicality to the Clandestien camp without sacrificing that group's traditionally sinister undertones. Tomahawk is a member of strong selling Syllabolix Crew which includes Downsyde, Drapht, Layla, Matty B
3) Chinese band Tomahawk (Beijing) plays Death Metal (early) - Half Thrash/Groove Metal (now).
4) Liquid Drum & Bass Producer -- Tom Kelsey aka Tomahawk does not get nearly enough credit as he deserves.
From securing a job at the mighty Hospital Records, taking over Lucy Ambache at promotions, he continued his production attempts and Hospital's eye caught his productions.
His track Milkshake featured on disc 2 of the critically acclaimed Plastic Surgery 3 and the follow up, Plastic Surgery 4 saw the track Until Dawn cut on to plate.
He has then gone on to remix YT on Public Demand/London Records, produce more music of his own, churn out a remix for London Elektricity, trap a residency at the amazing Hospitality night, every 3rd Friday of the month at Herbal while still running the promotions at Hospital. Blimey!